Friday, September 13, 2013

September Letter to Parents and Guardians

Dear Parents and Guardians of Division 3.
Osiyo!

My name is Brenda Koch. I will be your child's teacher this year. I am looking forward to watching and helping your child grow and learn. A few things about me: My background is Cherokee, Cree, German and Irish. While I grew up mostly in the rural United States, I have lived and worked in Vancouver since 2000. I attended Idaho State University for my first Bachelor's Degree then the University of Idaho to study for my Master's Degree. Finally, I earned my second B.A. from Simon Fraser University. I won my first international teaching award in 2010. My goals include returning to school for a Ph. D. when I hope to look at how to improve learning environments for children. I am also a visual artist and musician. I've had many jobs in my life and have done everything from helping birth calves to managing a small business on Commercial Drive. I am community oriented and look forward to getting to know all of you better.

My educational practice includes a number of project and inquiry based approaches. I value Aboriginal content and methodology a great deal and look forward to co-creating inquiry based projects with our class. I also create units which integrate multiple curriculum areas.

As care-givers, the number one way you support your student's success is by helping them to see the value of attending school every day and helping them reach their home reading goals every week (please see the reading booklet for more information). Please don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like to discuss any aspect of your child's education with me. I can be reached at Macdonald Elementary or by email. I also have a blog I occasionally use with students at www.alittleonalittle.blogspot.ca and a blog for adults around educational techniques, lesson plans, theories, etc at www.impsbletechne.blogspot.ca

Just 2 quick notes, we need to get the school forms back and I need to have a current number to reach you. Please send both items back with your child/children in the next day or two.


Yours in Community,
Brenda Koch

No comments: